Friday, August 2, 2019

Juspion Bluray review.

The day has finally come. As I mentioned in my Juspion review, Discotek has acquired the license and would be releasing the series on Bluray- that day has finally come and quite a bit early at that. Originally slated for a late August release, this launched almost a month early.


Just to be clear, this is solely for the Bluray. My review for the series can be found here. My thoughts on the show are pretty much the same now as then. I think the fights are some of the most incredible stunt work involving a giant suit on TV, the music is fantastic but the story is clunky and wasn't planned ahead to be more than just a basic premise. But overall I found it enjoyable. I mean I bought the figuart and the bluray so that should speak for itself.

As a side note, I don't have an external Bluray player so I don't actually have a proper way to capture screen shots of the menus and things like that. Unfortunately I am going to have to use a very guerilla style of camera work here. Lets get started on that, shall we?










We have a nice slip cover featuring the same image they showed off last year, although it's lacking the "As seen on TV in Japan" and the title has been changed to the proper one as opposed to Space Wolf.

Looks like they also zoomed in more from this image and got rid of the border.

Under the slip cover is a regular case with the same images, text, even barcode. I will note that the case on mine has the Bluray logo rubbing off.




I remember when the series was first announced, some people were confused as to why you would release something in SD on HD. But really I think this is good enough reason right here. Carranger is just one episode more than Juspion's run, look at what a difference the bluray makes. 46 episodes in one place instead of eight.

There's other reasons to use bluray as well, more sturdy, actual SD DVDs are still a lower quality than true SD etc.






Really nice inner cover. If Discotek ever gets into making posters or something like Generation Kikaida, I would absolutely love to have this in an 11x17.





Finally we have the Bluray proper. It is very basic as you can see. The menu music is also Ginga Ookami, so I really dig that.

There's not a whole lot to go over here. It's very straightforward and gets the job done. It's certainly better than Garo's borderline bootleg menu or even Shout's Sentai releases, which are often just the cover art. But this is still very minimal.



 Corrections were also made to the Subtitles, certain names and terms are made consistent as well.
 You may have also noticed the Subs are now yellow. I'm not one that cares much about that sort of thing, but I know that's going to bug the hell out of a lot of people.
The Bluray actually uses three different colors. Yellow for dialogue, an off teal blue for lyrics, and white for on screen text. I greatly appreciate the different colors to indicate which is which.





And that's pretty much all there is to cover, which I'm actually surprised by because I was under the impression there was going to be Special features of some kind.



I'm not sure what happened with this. It's a bit disappointing because Juspion is something I'm very interested in knowing about the behind the scenes stuff with and it's just not here. It doesn't negate the fact I'm very happy to own this and frankly this was handled really well. Others should take note of this release. But I do wish I knew why there isn't anything here.



That being said, I do suggest picking this up because it's great this is even happening. I really hope we can see more releases.
 Which for those wondering, the preview for Juspion is included before the first episode. The preview for Spielvan is not, which makes sense given the uncertainty. Personally I would love if they did Metalder next, but that might have some VR trooper issues with Shout and/or Hasbro.


As shit as the year is, we're at least getting Tokusatsu out the ass. We've got long out of print Godzilla DVDs coming back and on bluray, we might even be getting the JPN release of King Kong vs. Godzilla (Psst. that's a big deal Criterion, say something about it and if it's the '16 restoration) Ultraman is coming to Bluray with new subtitles, Garo is still going on Bluray.  Hell, Canada even got a freaking screening of the latest movie. Really only Rider is lagging behind and Sentai is... kinda up in the air and still needs better QC.
Shit, Bandai might even be realizing there is a Western Kamen Rider fanbase. Here's hoping we can keep this going.



Thanks everyone for your hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kamen Rider Black Sun (Spoiler Free) Review.

  Black Sun is still a relatively new series, so I’m going to avoid Spoilers and keep this (mostly) short. I will touch upon some minor spoi...